Monday, July 4, 2011

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

July 4th is one of my favorite days of the year because it is a great excuse to get together with friends and family for a picnic or BBQ (AND it's a 3-day weekend, woohoo!).  I live in NYC and barbeque grills are few and far between but I never let that slow me down. Today it was warm, the sun was shining, and I spent the day picnicking in Central Park. 

Of course it isn't July 4th without a few patriotic snacks and I LOVE anything red, white, and blue.  I started with four main ingredients...


Fat-free whipped cream, cinnamon graham crackers, fresh strawberries, and fresh blueberries.

For today's picnic I packed all of this up, threw it in a bag with some ice packs, and brought it to the park with me. 


BUT, if you're staying in and want to impress some guests here are 2 quick and easy crowd pleasing ways to use my favorite red, white, and blue foods.

QUICK AND EASY BERRY PARFAIT


1. Wash strawberries and blueberries and cut strawberries into quarters.
2. In a clear plastic cup alternate layers of crushed graham crackers, strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream. 

THAT'S IT! This parfait is so easy, delicious, and refreshing! It's so light it won't weigh you down in the heat either.

To relax and cool you down after a long day try my...

ICED BERRY COCKTAIL


I start this off by making fun berry ice cubes! 


1. Throw a few berries into an ice tray filled with water. Store in the freezer until solid.
2. Put ice cubes in a glass and add 1 jigger vodka (1 jigger = 1.5 ounces), 4 ounces diet cranberry juice, and 4 ounces of either club soda or water.

For a more kid friendly option you can omit the vodka or if you're not a big drinker you can use these fruity cubes to add color and flavor to a tall glass of water. 


HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment