Tuesday, June 28, 2011

HOLY GUACAMOLE!

One summer in college I had the extreme pleasure of waitressing at a Mexican restaurant in NYC called Caliente Cab Co. I left work every night reeking of Mexican food, my wallet was stolen the week before my birthday, AND I once had to call the police on a woman who ate her entire meal, refused to pay, and then made a scene during the lunch rush...

However, I learned a very valuable skill at Caliente, a skill that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. No, I'm not talking about making a mean margarita jell-o shot with tequila (I'll save that recipe for another time!). 

I am talking about making table side guacamole!

Ordering fresh guacamole at a restaurant can cost as much as $15 and it is served with fried tortilla chips! Making your own chips and guacamole is a great way to save money and calories.  My recipe will cost around $5 and since the chips are baked you can eat twice as many without feeling guilty! (I am all about volume when it comes to food)


GUACAMOLE

Ingredients
2 avocados
2 limes
1/2 large tomato- diced
1/2 large red onion- diced
1 jalapeno- finely chopped (modify amount based on your personal heat preference)
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro (I personally hate cilantro and think it tastes like soap, but for those who love it feel free to throw a little in there)

1. Cut avocados in half, remove the seed, and scoop avocado out of peel and into a bowl.
2. Mash avocados with a fork until you've reached your desired smoothness.
3. Add juice from both limes (if your limes are a bit hard you can put them in the microwave for a few seconds to help them release their juice)
4. Mix in red onion, tomato, jalapeno, salt, and pepper.
5. Add cilantro (if you like it)
6. ENJOY!

GUILT-FREE BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS

Ingredients
3 large whole wheat tortillas (note: you can use low-carb tortillas but they come out less crunchy)
olive oil spray
garlic powder
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Cut tortillas into triangles and spread onto cookie sheet in a single layer. (for easy cleanup line cookie sheet with tin foil first)
3. Spray tortillas with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Bake until golden brown, approximately 8 minutes.

Serve guacamole and chips with any cut veggies of your choice. 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I might have to try this.. I LOOOVE GUAC, haha:)

    xx, Melanie

    ReplyDelete