Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Granddaughter's Matzo Ball Soup

It is currently raining in NYC and I'm feeling a bit under the weather so naturally I'm in the mood for soup.

Yes, I am aware that it is August and soup may not be the first thing that you crave, however, my mother ALWAYS made me matzo ball soup when I was a kid and just the aroma wafting through my apartment is enough to make me perk up a bit.

I call this "Granddaughter's Matzo Ball Soup" because "Grammy's Matzo Ball Soup" takes hours to make and I just don't have the patience to do that. PLUS, I really hate when you make chicken soup from scratch and a layer of fat forms on the top of the pot, then you have to let it cool and scrape it off! (GROSS!)

Here is everything you will need to get a little taste of Grandma's kitchen in under an hour.

GRANDDAUGHTER'S MATZO BALL SOUP


1 package Matzo Ball and Soup Mix (I am partial to the Manischewitz reduced sodium kind but you can use whatever you like)
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 cup Carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup Celery, cut into bite sized pieces
1 pound Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless
Water
Dill, fresh, a few sprigs
Black Pepper, to taste

1. Follow preparation instructions on the Matzo Ball Soup box.
2. Before adding matzo balls to the broth add in the chicken, celery, and carrots. Then add matzo balls.
3. Remove dill leaves from the stems and add leaves to the soup.
4. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes (this may be a bit longer than the package suggests but I find that the chicken becomes more tender this way)
5. Remove chicken from the soup and shred.  Add chicken back into the pot.
6. Serve in bowls with fresh cracked black pepper on top.


There you have it! My secret to delicious, no-fuss, matzo ball soup! And best of all this pot is super cheap, you can eat it for days, AND it's so low-calorie that you won't feel guilty about enjoying some comfort food.
SHHH...Don't tell anybody that it came from a box!

2 comments: