Sunday, August 21, 2011

THE GRIDDLER


For the past 2 ½ years I have lived with the best roommates a girl could ask for, Emmy and Andrew.  In June we decided to end our domestic partnership and, in addition to losing amazing roommates, I lost all of my favorite kitchen gadgets (they were Emmy's, EEK!).  In true Emmy/Andrew fashion they took note of my kitchen depression and for my birthday bought me the mother of all kitchen tools (that will fit in a tiny apartment)…a Cuisinart Griddler!


This baby has removable and reversible plates that are half grill and half griddle.  It also opens up to become a flat top!  I am sure that I will get miles of use from this Griddler but for my inaugural run I decided to make one of my all time favorites.

TURKEY PEPPERONI PIZZA PANINI


2 slices multi-grain bread, light style
1 slice low-fat mozzarella cheese
1 ounce turkey pepperoni
1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
½ cup tomato sauce, jarred, your favorite brand
Cooking spray

1.     Spray a sauté pan with cooking spray. Saute onions and peppers on medium/high heat for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are softened and onions are caramelized. (NOTE: this recipe makes extra onions and peppers which are great to use in omelettes or put on top of a salad)
2.     Add turkey pepperoni into the pan and sauté for a minute until the pepperoni is heated.
3.     Put grill pans onto the griddler and heat (this can also be done on a George Foreman Grill or any other indoor grill)
4.     Build your sandwich with the multi-grain bread, mozzarella cheese and a generous portion of the onion, pepper, and pepperoni mixture.
5.     Spray grill with cooking spray and put sandwich onto grill.  Close top of grill and cook until cheese is melted.
6.     Serve Panini with a side of tomato sauce.

This Panini is delicious, easy, quick, and healthy. 

HELLO VEGGIES!!! (and turkey pepperoni isn't too bad for you either) 


It is a perfect Sunday snack or weeknight dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment