Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Cheapest Thing at NYU

My search for cheap eats in NYC all started while I was a student at NYU.  As you can imagine the combination of being 18, living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, and NYU’s hefty $50,000 per year price tag left me poor and on the hunt for places to eat that were better than the NYU dining hall. (If any of you lived in Hayden Hall before the 2007 renovation then you know why this was so important!)  


Hidden behind scaffolding on the corner West 4th Street btw Mercer and Broadway is a little NYU gem called DOJO and it is my original Skinny Apple, Fat Appetite favorite.




Don’t be put off by the neon signs, unassuming décor, Japanese inspired but slightly confusing menu, or mildy sticky tables… Dojo is a no-frills diner where the food is always delicious, super cheap, and healthy (well...they have healthy options!). I have also been known to encountered the random celebrity here and there (last week Alexander Skarsgard from “True Blood” was eating at an outdoor table!).  It is also close to impossible to walk out spending more than $10 for a meal or $15-$20 if there is alcohol involved.


Last night I ventured to Dojo for dinner with none other than my best friend from college, Emmy, and our favorite 3rd musketeer, Andrew. 


 (from left: Andrew, Emmy, Me)
(my all-time favorite picture of us!)


Before I jump into what food we ordered I need to make one thing clear, the best thing about eating at Dojo is, hand down, the Tahini Dressing.  I know what you might be thinking, you can’t center a meal around salad dressing…or can you?  This Tahini Dressing, or “Orange Dressing” as I like to call it, is like nothing I have ever had before.  It is not creamy, or oily, and seems to be made with a lot of carrots, garlic, and crack. (I kid, I kid, I have no idea if there is actual crack in the dressing but I can only assume that there is something addictive because once I start eating it I can’t stop.) Since there is no cream and the oil content seems to be fairly low I like to think that Orange Dressing is healthy…it probably isn’t, but I like to THINK that it is.  I try to use Orange Dressing sparingly but at the end of the night Emmy and I are usually doing this…


 (YEP! Eating it with a spoon)


Now for dinner


Emmy ordered what we call “the usual” but on the menu it is called the Fifth Avenue. This sandwich is made of grilled chicken, pesto, tomatoes, and cucumbers and is served on your choice of bread (I usually go with a whole wheat pita).  It is also served with a side salad and ORANGE DRESSING!!!  For only a measly $6.95 this sandwich is my favorite thing on Dojo’s menu.




I ordered my 2nd favorite menu item, the Steamed Vegetable Dinner served over brown rice with grilled chicken and ORANGE DRESSING!!!  This meal is pretty self explanatory and may sound a bit boring but the Orange Dressing will make it the most amazing steamed vegetable dinner you have ever had in your life.  The whole plate costs $5.95 + $3.5 (for the chicken) and, if you ask me, $9.50 is pretty great for a huge plate of food at a sit-down restaurant.




Andrew’s meal is where the menu gets a bit confusing.  Although Dojo is a diner with a little bit of everything, most of the items on their menu are salads, sandwiches, and vegetarian options (like soy patties) with a slight Japanese flare.  However, Andrew managed to find a lovely Italian dish hidden between the Oriental Tofu, Miso Ramen, and anything covered in ORANGE DRESSING!!!


Andrew ordered Salmon Basil Linguine with peppers, asparagus, and onions served in an olive oil and garlic sauce with garlic bread and a side salad.  I have to admit, I didn’t try the pasta but the garlic bread was delicious (and even better dipped in Orange Dressing).




Some other notable menu items are the Chopstick Salad (grilled chicken, buckwheat soba noodles, and veggies mixed with peanut sauce), California Salad (Shrimp, avocado, and mixed veggies with Orange Dressing), and the Hummus Appetizer (served with whole wheat pita).  They also have delicious French fries!


Our entire check for dinner last night came out to $30.  Slap down a $10 bill and call it a night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sad I missed out on this ORANGE DRESSING! We'll have to make another Dojo date soon!

    ReplyDelete