Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The End Of Summer Is Near


The end of summer is near and I am sure that all of you have the same thought as I do once the weather begins to turn chilly and autumn is fast approaching… please don’t let me gain winter weight this year! 

Don’t pretend that you have no idea what I’m talking about.  It is so easy to let an extra few pounds creep on once you’ve packed away your bathing suits and start bundling yourself in comfy sweaters and coats.  However, this year will be different (for me at least).  It might have something to do with a bridesmaid dress that I bought over the summer but need to wear at the end of October or it could be the great skinny jeans that I like tucking into boots…but either way I will not pack on the pounds this year!

One of my favorite summer recipes that will help me stay thin and happy through the cold weather months is my Summer Quinoa Salad.

SUMMER QUINOA SALAD

1 cup quinoa, uncooked, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1 red bell pepper, medium, diced
½ red onion, diced
½ cup snow peas, diced
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 tsp olive oil
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste






1. Combine quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
2.    Remove from stove and allow quinoa to cool for 15 minutes. 
3.    Add feta, peppers, red onion, and snow peas to quinoa. (sometimes I throw in 1/2 cup of corn during the winter to make this recipe even more summer-y!)
4.    In a separate bowl combine olive oil, orange juice, and vinegar.  Pour over quinoa and mix.
5.    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes approximately 6 1-cup portions.  May be served hot or cold. 

I LOVE this recipe because the quinoa satisfies my love of carbs but has more protein than rice or pasta (but is just as cheap!).  The vegetables are crunchy and bright and the orange juice and vinegar keep everything tangy.  Just a little bit of feta cheese adds a nice salty finish without adding too many extra calories.

This recipe is wallet and waist friendly and will definitely keep you in a summer state of mind all year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment